[FoRK] Stand up and face the future

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Dec 21 07:37:03 PST 2009

On Dec 20, 2009, at 9:28 PM, silky wrote:
> I'm reading this now (it'll be a few weeks before I'm finished ...)
> but one thing that I can't help but wonder immediately: Do we *need*
> "planet-scalable" systems? IMHO, the answer is: "No".

There are many apps that will be impractical without planet-scalable systems. Organizations are already trying to build crude versions of such things.

At this point, it is not motivated by a need for raw scale of the kind you might be able to fit in a multi-billion dollar data center (which is limited by crude algorithms anyway) but by the fact that for many applications it is not feasible to backhaul your data and computation to said data center.