[FoRK] Stand up and face the future

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:03:13 PST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 1:18 AM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

[...]

> Scale is everything.  Two problems:  figuring out what to do with it, and
> figuring out how to do it.  Not the same.  Both essential.

Here's a (not new) suggestion from me: the future is quantum.

It seems too ridiculous and idealistic to me that the future is a
distributed system of devices (i.e. phones and the smaller or larger
or merged version of a "thing" we are surely heading towards, with
phones getting larger and laptops getting smaller). I think these will
be fun, (though I don't ever want to own one) but I don't think the
idea itself is practical.

As to the question of not-only planet-scaling systems, but
universe-scaling (or at least interplanetary) perhaps the answer is
entanglement. I.e., the universe itself scales to the universe. It
holds all the data necessary, has the communication channels, and
manages to communicate with itself, and manage all it's relevant
nodes, to make things happen.

So perhaps instead of creating networks out of physical things, we
will start to adjust the "items" in the air for our purposes; thereby
using the network we already have around us. I suppose on this basis,
we could also (maybe, I'm not knowledgeable at all in this field) have
satellites with appropriate conversion devices, and make use of the
"storage" area out in space itself. Certainly a fun idea, at least to
me.

So now all we need to learn is quantum programming ... Man, writing
unit tests is going to be difficult ...

--
silky
  http://www.mirios.com.au/

INVIGORATING: CONTAINERIZE transatlantic streaker imploringly.