[FoRK] Stand up and face the future

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Dec 22 19:44:27 PST 2009

Ken says:

> But you can't "mine" in realtime. Mining requires a pre-existing
> source of accumulated data. Or it's not mining. By definition.

Ah, glasshoppah...  ;-)

Cf.  "online learning."  As opposed to "supervised..."

My caveat (already stipulated) is that while it's true that today, for
the most part, the two are clearly separable activities, this is
already becoming a blurry distinction about the edges --- and will
become even moreso.

It's true that the notion of "mining" is useless without some
historical corpus to work against, but the distinction between that
historical corpus and the stream of things coming in in real time is
increasingly meaningless.  I.e., you can pick any definitions you
want, but I can tell you from recent and relevant experience that the
definitions you are asserting above are arbitrary and not very durable.

$0.02,

jb