[FoRK] Stand up and face the future

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Tue Dec 22 20:27:50 PST 2009

--- On Tue, 12/22/09, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> Ah, glasshoppah...  ;-)
>
> Cf.  "online learning."  As opposed to
> "supervised..."
>
> My caveat (already stipulated) is that while it's true that
> today, for the most part, the two are clearly separable
> activities, this is already becoming a blurry distinction
> about the edges --- and will become even moreso.
>
> It's true that the notion of "mining" is useless without
> some historical corpus to work against, but the distinction
> between that historical corpus and the stream of things
> coming in in real time is increasingly meaningless.
> I.e., you can pick any definitions you want, but I can tell
> you from recent and relevant experience that the definitions
> you are asserting above are arbitrary and not very durable.
>
> $0.02,

So my $0.02 is that instead of changing the definition of what a mine is, just drop it and talk about sifting. Better still, since sifting normally connotes that you have a pile of something sitting waiting to be sifted through, drop that, too, and just talk about filtering.

 ...... Except when/if you really do mean mining or sifting.

Or are you one of those who likes to use the phrase "that's just semantics"???

       ...ken... <being both petulant and picky tonite>