[FoRK] zip code distance

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Dec 23 09:14:48 PST 2009

Bill Kearney wrote:
>> But --- re zip codes, I recently had a need to find the distance
>> between (severals pairs of) two zip codes as a part of a little
>> throw- away script I was writing.
>
> What defines distance here?  A straight line, as the crow flies?  Or
> over-the-roads?  Makes quite a difference when local terrain gets in
> the way...

Most online "show me the closest" business web applications seem to do
just "as the crow flies".  In many areas of the country, a reasonable
approximation.  Often, it isn't, but locals can filter out the error
results usually.  DC has a lot of "close" / far places.  It's kind of
strange to have so many route choices in the Bay area when there are
even more significant geographical features that should have been strong
partitions.