[FoRK] From Meccania to Atlantis

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 23 17:08:31 PST 2009

--- On Wed, 12/23/09, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> Just my opinion, based on many factors.  All easily
> disagreed with.  Place your bets.

Thanks for the list. Food for thought.

> Corruption is a way of government, and business to a large
> extent.  Not a good base for anything.

Just so. But are they *more* corrupt than any other jurisdiction? Compared to, say, the United States, for example?

>From the outside, there are some of us who view the US as at least as corrupt as many of the countries Americans typically hold up as egregiously corrupt. You'all just do it with more style.

The bureaucracy charges license fees. They are frequently used as extortion.

The politicians, on behalf of your big buinesses and constituencies with vested interests, negotiate free trade agreements that aren't.

The politicians are owned by their largest contributors. When a senator needs millions to get elected, does anyone really believe the big contributors are doing it for altruistic reasons?

Where do you think China's businesses learned how to screw people? They have learned well from businesses in the West. Why do you think we have so much consumer protection legistation? Hint: because we need it. We should hardly condemn them for using normal Western business practices when doing business with the West.

Sorry to pick on just one of many factors but I'm curious why you think this one applies particularly to China when I don't see it being any more (or less) corrupt than its peers (India, USA, Russia, UK, any global business). Just another opinion, of course.

         ...ken...