[FoRK] Stand up and face the future

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 23 19:04:20 PST 2009

--- On Wed, 12/23/09, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> IME, RT is --- and for some time has been --- more about
> whether the hardware / software stack is such that it
> permits earliest-possible reaction to events ---

I'm good with that. As long as "earliest-possible" isn't measured in minutes or days or months.

If it's user-interface-ish, the reaction should be perceived as "instanteous".

If it's date/time-stamping, it should be so close to the "actual" time that most users will be okay with weasel-words like near-realtime. This will generally be sub-second. How much "sub-" will depend on the nature of the events and why anyone cares about "when" they occured. As you mentioned, this is getting more and more "sub-" all the time.

The question is, is "micro-" or "nano-" really necessary? Or is it just another one of those things we do simply because we can? (I'm accepting that there are legitimate cases .. just questioning whether all, or even the majority, of them are/will be.)

E.g. when building and installing SCADA systems the users were often hyper concerned about having high availability and high reliability of the admin server, including things like uninterruptable power, etc., just like the monitoring nodes. We asked them if they were putting their terminals/workstations on UPS. They didn't understand the question.

     ...ken... (The answer was, "No.")