[FoRK] A comment on Avatar

Bill Humphries whump at mac.com
Wed Dec 23 23:03:20 PST 2009

On Dec 23, 2009, at 2:13 PM, Bill Kearney wrote:

> Oy, yet another idjit.

Annalee will just laugh at that, she's heard worse. Like the right-winger who was screaming at her about how feminism destroyed Japan.

People who think that "Avatar" is problematic, and I'm one of them, don't think that liking "Avatar" makes you racist. Avatar is, by all accounts a visually amazing film, I get that people like it.

However, "Avatar", "Dance With Wolves," and "The Last Samurai" have a common story: damaged white guy encounters The Other who heals them through their noble (yet savage/backward/alien) ways, and he rallies to lead them.

And you know, while I can learn a lot from listening to other cultures, they aren't my therapists, their job isn't to make my feel good about myself, and they aren't there to die dramatically in the third act so I can complete a Hero's Journey™.

While the inhabitants of Pandora aren't actual people of color, the movie's plot is "Dances with Wolves," John Carter, and "Last Samurai" redux.

How about a movie about Geronimo? He lead his people in a revolt against their oppressors, and his tribe didn't need a broken white guy to help them.

-- whump