[FoRK] A comment on Avatar

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Wed Dec 23 23:59:30 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 6:49 PM, James Tauber <jtauber at jtauber.com> wrote:

> On Dec 24, 2009, at 7:06 AM, Damien Morton wrote:
> > Over at Military.com there's an article on how it makes the military look
> > bad. And it does, but for different reasons than they describe.
>
> I thought they pulled the standard Hollywood trick of making them
> privately-funded mercenaries as if to say "the *real* military wouldn't be
> like this but this is what happens under Capitalism!"

http://www.military.com/entertainment/movies/movie-reviews/avatar-thrills-but-troops-take-hit

"""

Sully goes on to help lead a massive ambush against the human forces ordered
to blast the Na'vi from their village. The problem is, it becomes kind of
difficult to cheer for the aliens since they're a.) killing a lot of humans
during the assault and b.) those humans look a lot more like everyday
Marines or Soldiers than gun-slinging Blackwater mercenaries. It's hard for
at least this reviewer to see the entertainment value in blowing up
transport ships full of Marines, no matter how malign their mission might
be.
"""