[FoRK] A comment on Avatar

Bill Stoddard wgstoddard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 07:58:39 PST 2009

On 12/24/09 2:03 AM, Bill Humphries wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2009, at 2:13 PM, Bill Kearney wrote:
>

>> Oy, yet another idjit.
>>
> Annalee will just laugh at that, she's heard worse. Like the right-winger who was screaming at her about how feminism destroyed Japan.
>
> People who think that "Avatar" is problematic, and I'm one of them, don't think that liking "Avatar" makes you racist. Avatar is, by all accounts a visually amazing film, I get that people like it.
>
> However, "Avatar", "Dance With Wolves," and "The Last Samurai" have a common story: damaged white guy encounters The Other who heals them through their noble (yet savage/backward/alien) ways, and he rallies to lead them.

Over-analyzed into meaninglessness.  To offer a different, equally valid
(and equally meaningless) interpretation... it's common knowledge the
Chinese will rule the world 100 years in the future ergo the CEO, BoD,
major stake holders and brains behind of the company funding the Avatar
adventure are, ummm, not white people.  The white guys are just grunts
in the field doing the dirty work.  For those who insist on reading
meaning into the film (which is a mistake, imo), perhaps Chinese
capitalist activity in Africa is a better example?
Calling this a white guy guilt movie is trite and boring.

Bill