[FoRK] Whither BEEP? Re: HTTP 0.2, 9p, and op

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Thu Dec 24 10:55:50 PST 2009

Hi all,

On Dec 24, 2009, at 10:39 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> Anything sane in a general sense must be async, pipelined, channelized lightweight message oriented with end to end flow control and adaptive rate handling.
>
> HTTP-like messages over BEEP or AMQP would be fine.

Just out of curiosity -- does anyone know why BEEP doesn't seem to have taken off? It seems more general and lighter than, say, XMPP, and on alternate weeks I agree with you that it makes more sense than abusing HTTP.

Yet (other than my homie Xgrid :-) I'm not really aware of anything "interesting" built using BEEP, nor does it appear to be gaining momentum.

Any theories?

-- Ernie P.