[FoRK] A comment on Avatar

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Dec 24 11:44:41 PST 2009

Tom Higgins wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>
>> Damien Morton wrote:
>>

>> Funny that no one drew a parallel between Avatar "Marines" and Aliens'
>> corporate Marines, especially with Sigourney Weaver involved.
>>

> Not only Ripley but, as my sig line mentioned in the first post I
> plotzed on this topic, Vasquez.
>
> As for pointing out the white mans guilt taint on this movie and then
> being called trite and boring...there are many reasoned and erudite
> elegant and apropos " I am rubber you are glue..." retort as it
> contains just about as much worth  as the trite and boring trite and
> boring toss off.

You can read "white man's guilt" into a wide range of things, mostly
erroneously I think.  I think the sentiments in the movie are more
generic than that, humans vs. nature, humans vs. X, or just
advanced/aggressive species/people Y vs. less so
species/people/group.    There is an error in reasoning going on I think:

More advanced, but still not perfected peoples, such as Europeans
150-400 years ago may have had some legitimate rationale for introducing
knowledge to various "savages".  This was good, or should have been good
except for general clumsiness and unexpected problems like introducing
disease to new populations.  When their goals included conquering and
pillaging, this was bad, mostly, at least in the short term.  Although,
after some time, geographically speaking successful colonization seems
to have been good for many areas by comparison to those where it failed:
India/Australia vs. Africa.

When people then associated backwardness to these new peoples, that was
initially neutral since it was true.  We're talking intent here, not
absolute truth.  From their point of view and knowledge, people who
seemed to barely be getting by, have no recognizable commerce, and have
little recognizable culture seemed to be way back in pre-history in
terms of development.  When they assumed that this was somehow
intrinsic, or when anybody later made the same assumption, this was
wrong.  When it included importing slavery or other mistreatment from
the natives themselves, or inventing other abuse, by extending and
solidifying those assumptions, it was horrible.  People should have
known better and we're all sad about that history.

Today, stereotyping someone based on race is totally wrong, and is
considered so.  (Although a very small and mostly meaningless set of
physical, genetic, and other details have certain probabilities.)
However, we regularly start with a set of assumption baselines (weak
stereotyping) based on what we know about someone's background: country
of origin, university, profession, etc.  That, again, is just neutral as
long as it is fact-based and as long as we amend the estimation based on
new information which we solicit willingly.

Science fiction / fantasy often explores interesting and difficult
problems, often in a new light or point of view.  Avatar is about
extended first contact, bidirectional opaqueness / other causing
misunderstanding, over / unreasoned reaction to hostile situations,
greed causing disregard to others, business vs. personal relationships,
discounting the value of natural / living systems, science run amok, and
narrow-minded rules of engagement causing abuse of power.  And I got all
of that from the previews.

What it is not about is erroneous prejudice based on species / genetics
that no longer gives any useful information, which is my definition of
racism.  Equating that setting and situation with racism is offensive in
that it implies that in the future, "we" will become racist regardless
of the facts and that implies that we are doing that now.  The movie is
still in first contact / alien-alien misunderstanding mode.  The future
racism hasn't even happened in the future in the movie.  The
'member-of-group-A-becoming-a-member-of-group-B' and cross-pairing
paradigms are the best ways to increase understanding and preventing
racism.  That people call this betrayal is revealing.  Are we not all
individuals seeking our best self-actualization?  Isn't potential
self-sacrifice to prevent guilt-inducing situations a worthy cause?  Is
the tribal coherence so weak that the defection of a single individual
threatens to invalidate the whole?

District 9 on the other hand was all about racism.  Cleverly and
appropriately, by the time the story takes place, the aliens had already
been present for some time with extended opportunity for interaction and
knowledge.  Incredibly, the interviews in the movie were all or mostly
real interviews with South Africans, but they were talking about a group
of foreigner immigrants / itinerants, not aliens.

While there certainly are stupid people who are still racist, I don't
see new racism forming.  In fact, I haven't observed any racism in young
people for a long time and I've been around a lot of teenagers.  Parents
my age and older still sometimes have a problem, but they're few and
ignorant where I choose to live.
> -tom(I calls em like I sees em)higgins

Clean your glasses buddy.  ;-)