[FoRK] Whither BEEP? Re: HTTP 0.2, 9p, and op

Sean Conner sean at conman.org
Thu Dec 24 14:23:08 PST 2009

It was thus said that the Great Dr. Ernie Prabhakar once stated:
> Hi all,
>
> On Dec 24, 2009, at 10:39 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> > Anything sane in a general sense must be async, pipelined, channelized
> > lightweight message oriented with end to end flow control and adaptive
> > rate handling.

  Sounds like SCTP [4].

> > HTTP-like messages over BEEP or AMQP would be fine.
>
> Just out of curiosity -- does anyone know why BEEP doesn't seem to have
> taken off? It seems more general and lighter than, say, XMPP, and on
> alternate weeks I agree with you that it makes more sense than abusing
> HTTP.

  I took one look at the RFC for BEEP (RFC-3080) and saw:

	At BEEP's core is a framing mechanism that permits simultaneous and
	independent exchanges of messages between peers.  Messages are
	arbitrary MIME [1] content, but are usually textual (structured using
	XML [2]).

  Okay, so now my application needs to link against a MIME parser and an XML
parser (SAX, lighter weight but difficult to use, or DOM, easy to use but my
God the memory requirements [3]).  So now my app becomes a bit more
complicated.  Thanks, I'll stick to UDP [5].

  But overall, it sounds like it's trying to do SCTP.

  -spc (A greybearded C programmer)

[1]	Not My Footnote

[2]	Not My Footnote

[3]	Yeah yeah yeah, I know, gigs of RAM these days, it doesn't matter,
	but I say Nay!  Nay!  It *does* matter!

	Okay, at least to me, it does.

[4]	Stream Control Transmission Protocol---think reliability and
	congestion control of TCP but message based like UDP, and can even
	work of one, or both, of the endpoints change their IP address.

	And it's at the same level as TCP and UDP.

[5]	Used UDP in my greylist daemon [6], which wasn't that difficult to
	use actually.

[6]	http://www.x-grey.com/

	Implements an anti-spam technique that works with both sendmail and
	postfix (and should support other MTAs with a minimum of work).  It
	uses UDP as the underlying protocol.