[FoRK] HTTP 0.2, 9p, and op

Sean Conner sean at conman.org
Thu Dec 24 14:47:10 PST 2009

It was thus said that the Great Jeff Bone once stated:

> This all leads me to recapitulate my longstanding but much-contested
> points-of-view:  DAV is horrible and should be avoided at all costs,
> and the Web is a filesystem. The sooner both the filesystem and Web
> communities actually acknowledge those facts and start hashing out the
> consequences productively rather than unnecessarily amplifying the
> differences, the better.

  The web is a filesystem?  News to me (and here I was taught that
filesytems were a type of database with only one indexed column).

  Anyway, the HTTP spec goes out of its way to avoid using the term "file",
instead calling the endpoint of a URL (or is it URI?) is a "resource".
That's because what's at the end of a URL (or is it URI?) "could" be a file,
but it could also be something else entirely.

  Take, for instance, my Electric King James Bible [1][2].  The only "file"
(in the traditional sense) is the index page---the rest, all 15 gazillion
"pages", don't exist as individual files.  Sure, there's Genesis:

	http://bible.conman.org/kj/Genesis

but there's also the Noah and the Flood:

	http://bible.conman.org/kj/Genesis.6:9-9:17

and just his sons:

	http://bible.conman.org/kj/Genesis.6:10

  There's some intelligence (read: program) that takes the URL (or is it
URI?) and maps it to the data that needs to be returned for display on the
"page" (or "file" I suppose).

  Yes, there's an underlying "file" (files, actually) that is (are) read to
build the "page" but it seems wierd to me calling the result a "file".  When
it really isn't.

  -spc (My blog [3] uses a similar technique for displaying entries [4])

[1]	http://literature.conman.org/bible/

[2]	I picked the Bible for its structure (me?  I'm not particularly
	religeous), where you can reference whole books (Genesis), chapters
	(Genesis 1) or even individual verses (Genesis 1:1).

[3]	http://boston.conman.org/

[4]	http://boston.conman.org/2000/08/10-15
	http://boston.conman.org/2000/08/15-10

	The first link displays the entries chronologically, the sencond
	displays the entries in reverse chronological order.