[FoRK] Whither BEEP? Re: HTTP 0.2, 9p, and op

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Sat Dec 26 20:15:08 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 07:47:08PM -0800, Stephen Williams wrote:
<snipped: masive amounts of primo cogitation>

> Here is a SIP example:
> http://blog.tekelec.com/blog/?Tag=SCTP
> >In the following figure, a request starting at the caller
> >traverses a UDP hop, an SCTP hop, and a TCP hop before reaching
> >the callee.
> Works fine for voice traffic, might work with enough bandwidth for
> video, and would fall apart completely without a higher level flow
> control for any serious bulk transfer.

Of course, streaming media protocols like RTP or Skype are bandwidth-
adaptive, lossy, and meant for applications that are *not* serious bulk
transfer.  Makes the design *much* simpler, with much less need for trust
or coordination between nodes.

There's likely a way to make a PtP-friendly protocol that somehow serves
both RT/streaming and bulk uses.  I suspect you'd end up with something
like XBox LIVE - various application-specific protocols over a peer-to-peer
VPN over UDP.