[FoRK] HTTP 0.2, 9p, and op

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Sat Dec 26 20:39:59 PST 2009

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 10:18:21AM -0600, Jeff Bone wrote:
> Random thought re: actual filesystem implementation.  Assume
> immutable file objects, persistent identity across versions, and so
> on ala Amoeba. <snip details>

Erlang's lockless immutable variables, as applied to filesystems?
A proper log-structured filesystem would be mostly there.  A bit of
deduplication to correct for pathological cases and Bob's your uncle.

The results (a branching tree of slightly different files) would be a bit
annoying, but I guess that's where yer OT comes in.  Ultimately, we get to
the point where filesystems become DVCSs, which don't sound so bad.

Thanks for the amusing musing,
  Aaron