[FoRK] HTTP 0.2, 9p, and op

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Sun Dec 27 09:23:36 PST 2009

Jeff Bone wrote on 12/25/2009 8:18 AM:
> It's worth pointing out that in most of these things except for the pure
> higher-order mobile pi-calculi, you do in fact end up with at least two
> classes of things: the communications between first-class entities
> (which may be first-class in themselves) and those entities (which
> generally capture both or either of any "static" named content and any
> named services.)

Both file and message models have processes. I don't see how this is a
weakness, as the actor/data model is very robust. The message model
makes vastly more sense once you build more then one machine, and you
want to do anything with them. Things like checkpoints and process
migration also are more intuitive concepts, things the file model has
had people screwing up completely forever.

Also easier to teach, as it maps better to what humans do. Messages are
obvious, but files require more stretching. It's called Instant
Messageing and note Instant Filing for a reason. Imaging the fun of IM
if everything was a URL you had to goto, instead of just the message itself.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/