[FoRK] Africa...

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jan 7 17:41:12 PST 2010

The article below shows an astounding level of ignorance and primitive
culture. I often think about how different modern first world people are
mentally from those in medieval times and before. Not only do we
experience the world and especially other people differently in many
ways, but I imagine that many or most in those societies would be
considered by us to have thick layers of severe mental illness and
trauma. Imagine a society chock full of Dexters, and probably few with a
useful "code". And this is all in addition to the lack of modern
knowledge about science, medicine, mental processes, government, and
various areas of functional culture. We were lucky to (mostly) evolve
out of it. (And note that in some areas of the first world even, it's
only been a lifetime or two since people have stopped getting their
heads chopped off summarily (Japan), tortured to death, etc.)

Societies where those traumas are still pervasive and which lack sane,
humanistic culture are just not compatible with the modern era. I
consider them to be society-wide "mental genocide". Genocide, as a rule,
must be eradicated. Clearly, terrorist madrassas are committing mental
genocide in their new recruits, who then are ready to commit physical
genocide. Finding a way to eradicate it effectively is the problem.
Clearly, we need to try to save any more from entering the cycle, which
implies separation from youth and other innocents at the very least. I
think we will have a hard time making progress until we clearly identify
a certain threshold as being too-primitive & mentally damaging, not to
mention the human rights violations.

On Madrassas: Interesting juxtaposition:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/14/opinion/14bergen.html?_r=1
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/saudi/analyses/madrassas.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/8441813.stm