[FoRK] Africa...

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Fri Jan 8 06:26:15 PST 2010

Hi Stephen,

On Jan 8, 2010, at 12:20 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> Being ethical / moral and civil doesn't mean that nobody ever does violent, potentially bad things.  It means that those things are not considered normal, are only done, by non-criminals, after consideration and only when it seems to be the course of action that will result in the best acceptable outcome.  Additionally, we, generally speaking, work hard to shield the young from things that would traumatize them.  There's plenty to quibble about, but we don't take toddlers to public hangings or let children play soccer with heads or whatever.

I do agree that modern Western culture is generally less barbaric than many (though far from all) earlier societies.  But that doesn't prove we "moderns" are inherently more moral or compassionate than everyone who came before.

I also think that there are many things we take for granted today that earlier societies *would* consider gratuitously barbaric -- and perhaps our future descendants will as well. Are we really any better than them at critiquing our own culture?

 Don't be to quick to cast the first stone, lest you discover your own house is made of glass....

-- Ernie P.