[FoRK] Truth (?) about the Google Affair (translated from a Chinese blog)

Bill Stoddard wgstoddard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 12:30:24 PST 2010

On 1/18/10 2:56 PM, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 01:39:21PM -0500, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
>> This is translated from a Chinese blog.  Of course, there is no way
>> to 'prove' this accusation; inner workings of the CCP is a black box
>> and there are no civilized tools available to break that black box
>> open.   However, you can still reasonably ask 'Does this pass the
>> 'sniff test''?  You decide...
>>
> Joe Bob sez, too much plot getting in the way of the story.
>
> I'll stick with the _Halting State_ plot-- Google was attacked by hackers
> working at an arm's remove from the Chinese security services.
Reasonable permutation.  I'd actually be a bit surprised if the mole was
a CCP cadre (ie, member of the party).  Why do the dirty work when you
can pay someone to do the dirty work for you.

>   This violated an agreement with the CCP,
That seems a stretch...

> so Google is following through by
> withdrawing money and censorship.

Unless I misunderstand what you're saying this doesn't pass sniff test.
Google withdrawing money and censorship because they are 'punishing' the
CCP?  You kidding me?  That they faced an existential threat, as the
article points out, makes much more sense.
> Probably all just an external manifestation of an internal CCP power
> struggle, a la the Cultural Revolution.

Frightening thought but almost certainly true.

An aside... just finished reading an account of Mao's life as told by
his personal physician of 22 years:
http://www.amazon.com/Private-Life-Chairman-Mao/dp/0679764437/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263845933&sr=8-1

Highly recommended.  A healthy dose of 20th century Chinese history is
necessary for all well informed FoRK'ers.  This is a good first foray
into the topic.  Dr. Li's account is a good match with an account of the
same period found here:
http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Swans-Three-Daughters-China/dp/0743246985/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263846596&sr=1-1

Bill

Bill