[FoRK] The Wrecking Crew - A Low, Dishonest Decade

Marc Erickson marcerickson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 13:54:55 PST 2010

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200905/imf-advice

 Economy May 2009 Atlantic
 The crash has laid bare many unpleasant truths about the United States. One
of the most alarming, says a former chief economist of the International
Monetary Fund, is that the finance industry has effectively captured our
government—a state of affairs that more typically describes emerging
markets, and is at the center of many emerging-market crises. If the IMF’s
staff could speak freely about the U.S., it would tell us what it tells all
countries in this situation: recovery will fail unless we break the
financial oligarchy that is blocking essential reform. And if we are to
prevent a true depression, we’re running out of time.

by Simon Johnson <http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/by/simon_johnson>

And to prevent a depression in the entire world, especially in my country.
When you sneeze, we catch a fever.

Marc

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Bill Stoddard <wgstoddard at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Heck, the only "free market" is right next to the "frictionless bearing"
>> in
>> the Land of Academic Abstractions.
>>

> FoRK quote worth remembering!
>
> Bill