[FoRK] The World Is Not Flat

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Jan 19 18:10:41 PST 2010

For further clarity...

On Jan 19, 2010, at 7:53 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Really, it's not the miles, it's the hop count metric that matters,
> and whether that hop count makes sense, and the "distance" (in cost)
> between them.  The network self-organizes in a distorted space not
> to optimize for minimum cost-add between the inputs and outputs,

...which, note, is what standard if idealized theories of beneficial
globalization might suppose...

> but rather for exploitation of local characteristics for maximum
> value extraction at each hop.

Such local characteristics, as mentioned, deriving from various forms
of monopoly power, coercion, and engineered inefficiencies at all
levels of scale throughout the network.  The market overall optimizes
according to *those.*

Without taking those into account, any theory of globalization is
going to be inherently flawed.  At least, that was the conjecture I
was advancing.

jb