[FoRK] The World Is Not Flat

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Jan 19 20:03:20 PST 2010

Ken, responding to Stephen:

>> In other words, the higher the existing costs, the higher the
>> incentive to go into business to lower those costs, benefiting
>> everyone.
> And he brings it right back to one of Jeff's thorniest of thorns.
> Good work. And, Yes.

Can you elaborate?  At this point, I can't really tell whether you're
agreeing or disagreeing (or to what...) ;-)

Actually, I think Stephen's making a good point that's consistent with
(one of) the problem(s) I'm describing.  In an ideal environment, the
dynamics Stephen describes apply.  It's when you have coercive
influences that inhibit and create effectively-impossible (i.e., costs
cannot be offset by the profit opportunity for such dis- or re-
intermediation, or in some cases it's simply legally or otherwise
prohibited) barriers to such competition that you get into trouble.
I.e., Kling-style market failure.

And such influences are --- this should be clear --- pervasive in the
non-ideal environment of the real world's economic networks and
ecosystem.  And in many cases, it's *engineered.*

Right?

jb