[FoRK] The World Is Not Flat

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Tue Jan 19 20:19:31 PST 2010

--- On Tue, 1/19/10, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> Ken Ganshirt wrote:
> > Well, no. Not really. It's generally coming out of tax
> dollars or artificially reduced wages and other individual
> and/or collective benefits.
> > It has little, if anything to do with transportation
> costs; only its availability, e.g. in your example,
> transportation has to be available or there's no deal to be
> made. But it doesn't much matter what it costs. It's cost
> can and will be offset, if necessary, by the other
> giveaways^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h incentives such as reduced or
> forgiven taxes, licenses and other fees, free
> infrastructure, regulations that restrict labour's power to
> negotiate wages and benefits or absolutely reduce the wages
> and benefits, and regulations that reduce or remove
> penalties for transgressions against the commons.
> >
> >        ...ken...
> >

> Why the sudden fascination with incentives to lure
> business?  What's wrong with that?  To the extent
> that they clean out the cobwebs of over-taxation /
> regulation that were more to the benefit of large companies
> than startups, it is probably good.

I can say with confidence, on my own behalf, that this "fascination" is far from sudden. I have long been annoyed at the waste of my tax dollars, the perversion of the regulatory process to favour specific corporations or industries and the damage done by this competition between jurisdictions (cities, provinces, countries) for these fictitious "job creation opportunities".

To they extent that they genuinely "clean out the cobwebs", it would be a boon. It usually is nothing more nor less than crass corporate welfare.

      ...ken...