[FoRK] Speaking of barriers to entry...

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Jan 20 10:12:38 PST 2010

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 07:31:02AM -0600, Jeff Bone wrote:
>

>>   http://www.taranfx.com/open-source-gsm
>>

> Anyone knows if 4G can be hacked to work with a low LEO constellation
> without phased-array beamforming or active antenna tracking?

Probably, do you have one? (A low LEO constellation?)

Of course, you'll get a lot more bandwidth if you do phased-array
beamforming with a phased-array receive antenna.

Heck, you could build this into a phone if you wanted:
http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5619060-1.html?tag=txt

I would really like to use a RaySat with a satellite Internet link to do
this:
http://voiceontheweb.biz/2009/09/burning-man-gets-its-own-country-code-almost/
http://www.geeked.info/burning-man-and-communication-cell-phones-on-the-playa/
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio/OpenBTS

This is probably more work than I will have time or money for:
> Is this legal? Yes. We have an experimental license, WD9XSP, and a
> consent letter from Verizon authorizing us to operate in their KNKN224
> block A cellular spectrum.

I'll probably just settle for web/email/Skype, or nothing.