[FoRK] The World Is Not Flat

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Jan 20 15:19:54 PST 2010

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> --- On Wed, 1/20/10, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote
>

>> However, none of that is continuous motion based, which is
>> what I was suggesting: the platform should be moving at the
>> same speed as the train so that the cargo on the car is
>> stationary to the load/unload dock and mechanism.
>> "Continuous motion" is a term of art in manufacturing
>> systems: everything keeps moving smoothly rather than
>> start/stop stations.
>>

> Interesting stuff. Thanks.
>
> Re: Above. What happens to the trains? Do they also run constantly? What about refueling? (Ooops. Of course. One of the items on the platform could easily be for refueling.) They have to turn around sometime .. how/where/when? (Questions/curiousity, not criticism.)
>
>         ...ken...

I suspect it still makes sense to stop at major yards, to refuel,
reverse, change crews / passengers, etc.  It could all be made
continuous, using loops, etc., but not necessary.  I was just thinking
that reducing cross-country stops from dozens to a couple might have a
big payback while allowing many more exchange points.  This is related
to my years-old rush hour dream of a drive on/drive off continuous
motion car train.

I just obtained a book that includes a section on how "hump yards" work,
kind of interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_yard

Interesting, I wonder if that's where we get "marshalling" of data from?

And this is kind of funny: