[FoRK] Programming language windmill-tilting; interesting? and funny...

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Wed Jan 20 15:50:32 PST 2010

Interesting visualization that's confirming previously-expressed
intuition;  Javascript is managing to find some local hilltop-optimum
of conciseness vs. performance, in some of its newer, server-focused
implementations.  This visualization is really pretty scant, but
interesting nonetheless.  (Nb., conciseness by itself isn't
necessarily a goal;  I'd take 20% greater LoC in e.g. Python vs.
Javascript if that were the only concern, as a reasonable tradeoff for
readability.  That's not, of course, the only concern...  and in any
case, in the sample set of benchmarks used, Python wins slightly on
conciseness anyway --- however at a cost of perhaps 10x performance
vs. JS V8.  WTF?!)

   http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/code-used-time-used-shapes.php

--

There's been a lot of "how programmers from language X view
programmers from other languages" stuff floating around lately.

   http://kvardek-du.kerno.org/2010/01/how-common-lisp-programmer-views-users.html

jb

P.S. - I don't get the Factor pick, here.  What are they attempting to
say?  Anyone?  Bueller?