[FoRK] Various and sundry

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Wed Jan 20 15:50:36 PST 2010

Too many good points to argue, but I'll pick a few cherries.

--

Aaron, none of the above.  Homework:  figure out what I *am*
doing... ;-)

Aside:  this cracks me up, seriously:

   http://xkcd.com/635/

(Be sure to check the mouseover.)

(For the record, I am laboring under no such delusions of grandeur...)

--

Bill, #1:  not attempting to wish away regulation, I'm attempting to
add a little color and context to the consideration of what might work

Bill, #2:  re: limiting leverage, I realize you're probably riffing
off the recent CFTC stuff that's making the rounds this week.
Understand, I'm not talking about the retail market.  Honestly, that
part of the overall market is so insignificant in size that if it
disappeared tomorrow the pros probably wouldn't even notice.  But any
attempt by any national-scale regulator to impose these kinds of
things unilaterally on a national level is futile anyway, as it only
shifts the business to some other locality.  (Such is the global
nature of a fragmented market in the ultimate fungible form of value
--- money itself.)  Rest offline...

Bill, #3:  no apologies necessary.  FoRK is a no-tears environment.
Well, except for that pussy, Stephen. :-P ;-)  (Kidding, sdw!  Hey, I
had to pick SOME name in order to make the joke work...  don't sit in
the front row, it's your own damn fault.  These are the jokes, folks.
Can't all be jewels.  I'll be playing here all week... ;-)

--

Ken, re: the telecom thing:  clearly understood re: the capex issues
involved domestically.  However, I suspect that we're going to see a

--

sdw, re: keyboards etc. / "real" smart phone, app, etc.:  yeah,
understood and agreed.  Apps beat devices, take N:

   http://vator.tv/news/show/2010-01-11-the-160-lesson-apps-beat-devices

Unf., my present phone solution doesn't have a physical keyboard
(dammit, Apple!) so that aforementioned piece of crap is slightly
appealing in some ways, for the couch scenario at least.  Ugh.  And
FWIW, the trade-off in terms of functionality gained by giving up that
keyboard (i.e., sticking with the iPhone) is the availability of some
commercial solutions (home security and automation control, etc.) that
I'd have to gen up on my own anywhere else, so it's been a reasonable
tradeoff in time savings so far --- for me, YMMV.

As for your geek belt --- you are a complete dork.  (I want one! ;-)
Hey --- I've got a whole box of used surplus wearable gear --- no HUD,
but a couple of belt comps, some touchscreen stuff and other stuff ---
anybody interested in buying the whole grab-bag?  I can make a list of
the gear if anyone is interested.  Just taking up space at present
after some experimentation.

--

'Nuf for now.

jb