[FoRK] My sentiments exactly...

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Fri Jan 22 08:42:34 PST 2010

On Jan 22, 2010, at 8:05 AM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> How does the right of free speech of citizens of the United States of America have anything whatsoever to do with corporations? Can someone enlighten me please?

Corporations are not Federal constructs.  They are just groups of people organized under the Common Law. In the majority of States corporations have always had the right to political speech.

freedom of speech + freedom of association = freedom of group speech

Whether it is a good thing or not, the reasoning is not a stretch.

> For the record, if it makes it any easier to respond, I don't buy this bullshit about an entity that cannot be held to the same accountability nor be required to show the same responsibility as a human having the same rights as a human.

You ascribe far more power and opaqueness to corporations than exist in practice. Corporate decisions must always resolve to natural persons, so restricting the rights of a corporation restricts the rights of the natural person.

It is logically problematic to recognize a right for an individual and simultaneously deny it to a group of individuals.