[FoRK] My sentiments exactly...

Bill Stoddard wgstoddard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 08:56:39 PST 2010

On 1/22/10 11:42 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2010, at 8:05 AM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
>
>> How does the right of free speech of citizens of the United States of America have anything whatsoever to do with corporations? Can someone enlighten me please?
>>

> Corporations are not Federal constructs.  They are just groups of people organized under the Common Law. In the majority of States corporations have always had the right to political speech.
>
> freedom of speech + freedom of association = freedom of group speech

What does 'freedom of association' mean, exactly, in the corporate
context?  It certainly isn't the same as a bunch of like minded people
getting together to lobby the county government to install speed bumps
on their neighborhood streets.  What prevents a China SOE from setting
up HQ in Deleware, bringing on US employees and buying politicians in
support of their agenda? What is the difference between Hu Jintao or Wen
Jiabao  and the CEO of 'Ultra Big Corp'?  What happens when corporations
determine private ownership of firearms is not in their best interest?
This is far from being as innocent as you make it out to be.

Bill