[FoRK] The quantum-logical theory of truth and irony

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Fri Jan 22 09:00:12 PST 2010

On Jan 22, 2010, at 10:02 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> One small lemma in the theory, worthy of note:  anti-anti-irony is
> not +1 irony, but rather -4/3 irony.  Anti-anti-anti-irony = -2
> irony.  However, anti-anti-meta-anti-irony = +2 irony, yet quasi-
> meta-anti-meta-anti-meta-anti-irony (or any of its well-formed
> tangles) = negative infinity +/- 2/3.  (Dimensional analysis reveals
> this number, intriguingly, to be unitless.)

You're probably confused.  I know what you're thinking:  "shouldn't
anti-anti-anti-irony = +2 irony, not -2 irony?"

This tripped me up at first, too.

However, recall "Seinfeld's Law":  in any linear composition of anti-
ironic applications to collapsed quantum-logical products, the sign-
twist result of every other application is implicitly reversed.  In
practice, this means that any odd number of sequential applications of
anti- to an unmodified truson with positive intensionality and any
whole-number extensionality has negative sign-twist.  (Hence, "sign-
folding.")  However, when the number of such applications has been
"lifted" transfinitely via the application of e.g. meta or other
operators, the sign becomes unknowable.  Only the linear subsequences
of such applications have deterministic sign.

In practice this is not a problem for most common speech-act
applications.  The primitive expression of the typed truson calculus
using positional operators does, however, permit disambiguation;
consider the twist-type signature of the following tangle, for
example:  (anti-)-(anti)(-anti)-(anti-)-(-anti-) X.

I hope this clarifies things and therefore preemptively avoids a shit-
storm of confusion and debate on this issue.

jb