[FoRK] My sentiments exactly...

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Fri Jan 22 09:13:51 PST 2010

On Jan 22, 2010, at 8:56 AM, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> What does 'freedom of association' mean, exactly, in the corporate context?  It certainly isn't the same as a bunch of like minded people getting together to lobby the county government to install speed bumps on their neighborhood streets.  What prevents a China SOE from setting up HQ in Deleware, bringing on US employees and buying politicians in support of their agenda? What is the difference between Hu Jintao or Wen Jiabao  and the CEO of 'Ultra Big Corp'?  What happens when corporations determine private ownership of firearms is not in their best interest? This is far from being as innocent as you make it out to be.

Nothing prevents any of this now in most states, and never has. Disclosure is still required and non-citizens still cannot vote.  Little is changed by this decision in practice.

Freedom of speech in the United States already applies to non-citizens, so I am not following arguments that seem to assume otherwise.