[FoRK] The new middle?

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 22 10:55:05 PST 2010

--- On Fri, 1/22/10, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> Jeff Bone wrote:
> >
> > sdw says:
> >
> >> If we could just have the party of newly-centrist
> JB!
> >
> > So, lower-left is the new middle?  Wait, I've
> been saying that for years.  Well, I've been saying
> that it's the *real* middle...
> >
> > Just keeping it real.  As of today (just took the
> > test to spot-check...)
> >
> > Your political compass
> > Economic Left/Right: 7.88
> > Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.69
> Doesn't this put you in lower-right?  I know you want
> to be in the lower-left.  ;-)
> >

> It is the secondary interpretation and nuanced principles
> where you have evolved, IMHO.  The political compass
> questions are not nuanced enough to capture why you believe
> in your answer, only what your answer is.  It seems
> that the scoring is making some guess as to your
> principles.  The reasoning is what counts while
> model-probabilities or simple tradition can greatly skew
> actual answers on "gray scale" questions.  Why doesn't
> that test have "neutral" as an answer??
>  ...[snip]...
>
> So, with all of the flaws in the questions, here is my
> result:
> > Your political compass
> > Economic Left/Right: -1.50
> > Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.59
> Just libertarian of center.
>
> sdw

(I found it, jb.)

I'm with you, Stephen ... I was forced to answer too many questions where my genuine response is "It depends" or "I honestly don't give a damn."

Having said that, being prevented from sitting on the fence, and FWIW:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.31

Is this nature or nurture, do you suppose? Is it a result of the culture I live in? Or am I simply living in the right culture for me?

      ...ken...