[FoRK] Laws against handheld cell phones don't reduce crashes, study says

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 29 18:34:31 PST 2010

--- On Fri, 1/29/10, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> ...  I gladly trade the marginal risk that I may make a mistake, ...

See, this attitude is what makes least common denomitor legislation so attractive. If you were the only one you were putting at risk, this would be a legitimate decision for you to make unilaterally.

Your not, so it's not.

By the way, was your "marginal risk" calculation Bayesian or Fisherian (frequentist)?

Did you modify it by quantifying the Consequences axis?

Good risk management *always* looks at the conjunction of probability and consequences, not just probability in isolation.

       ...ken...   <... wondering how informed is your opinion that the risk is "marginal" ....>