[FoRK] An interesting offshoot from the iPad discussion

Bill Stoddard wgstoddard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 12:35:59 PST 2010

On 2/1/10 3:11 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> The iPad announcement has sent this guy in a different direction.
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=30259&tag=col1;post-30259
>
> On yet another tangent, is this personal/private/public cloud stuff all just Back To The Future? Why does the talk about clouds and virtualization and thin clients make me think we did all this with mainframes and minicomputers and we're just doing it all again for the third time? Or still doing the same thing with a slightly different mix of technologies? Am I wrong?  Significantly wrong?  How/Where am I wrong?
>
>           ...ken...

We're not talking 3270 thin and it's a lot easier (or will soon be a lot
easier) to provision apps in the cloud and grow the cloud incrementally
as compared to same on classic mainframes.  History doesn't repeat but
it rhymes.

I'm still having a difficult time getting my head around doing
'enterprisey' (read 'profitable') things in the public cloud. Perhaps
you have a really big pile of bits you'd like to do some analytics on...
rent some cloud space, crunch some bits, collect results, rm -fr
everything.   I just can't imagine persistently keeping bits that form
the backbone of your business outside the firewall. Hit-n-run analytics
maybe?

Bill