[FoRK] Betting on the iPad

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 13:14:25 PST 2010

I'll lay this bet for the iPad: I bet that it will revolutionize ebooks.

It will ensure that passive formats like epub and azw lose out in
favor of active formats like HTML5 apps and proprietary phone-specific
apps.

It will enable the technology to finally get great.  Ebook readers are
a lame technology.  EG, in-book ajax is a distant dream.  Media
playback not even that.

I imagine that the reader app and book content will be bundled
together in one opaque package.  There will be a few different reader
apps, each of which has its own API for the books to write to.  The
best APIs will be microformatted HTML.

Dark horse bet for the winning data format: MAF.