[FoRK] Betting on the iPad

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 14:30:47 PST 2010

I will more than bet that the iPad will do for me exactly what the
iPod and iPhone did in their respective categories.

On the mp3 player front I had a couple of different players before the
ipod made its mark, saw where the iTunes store was going when they
rolled it out in 2003 and decided that was not the road for me. On the
smartphone front they were very much in the locked down  company store
mentality from the get go and decided again it was not a good fit for
me. I finally decided on the Droid just a few months ago. The tablet
road looks to be about the same, that is I have had a chance to play
with tablets for while now (heck I still have the pieces of the old
Sonicblue Progear in my basement somewhere) and simply do not see the
Apples vision for control a fit for what I want in a device.

So yea, Apple continuing to not have me as a customer seems a good
bet. Will they still make a few nation's GPD of worth on it...sure why
not. Slap it once, slap it twice...you know the rest.

Do I think they will shake things up? A beast that size is bound to.

Now as to the demerits of the epub format, I am still sort of taken by
it:)- It is simple, contained, and most fo the devices I have can now
in rotation can render it (readers for linux desktop, netbook, sony
pr505 and droid). HTML5 though is a good thought for it as well. I am
not sure how much interactivity I want with my books, sure playing
Choose Your Own Adventure books would rocketh...but one of the reasons
I picked the pr505 was its decidedly unconnected uncomplicated book
reading abilities. Yes, it is not the best for heavily laid out
graphic works. I would like to see what comes from HTML5 and books.

-tom(hard numbers...let us say that unless the devices gets totally
fraked up in a bad pr spincycle it will be >15% of Apple's worth in 3
years.)higgins