[FoRK] Portable hotspots (or, why the iPad doesn't need 3G / future of Bluetooth questionable?)

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Feb 2 08:04:10 PST 2010

Have already mentioned by reservations about 3G in the iPad.  I'm
certainly not going to go down that road;  entertained the thought
briefly, but have concluded that it's stupid.  (Like removable media
before it, this idea of a direct WAN connection + Wi-Fi in every
mobile device is daft.  That won't keep millions from buying into the
notion before they find that the friction of having to manage this on
lots of devices becomes prohibitive.)

Here's the solution:  portable WAN-connected personal hotspots.  The
Verizon MiFi and similar devices have started to appear all over the
place --- I first saw this device category appear a couple of years
back with high-end aftermarket auto outfitters offering a solution
(other than e.g. tethering your phone.)  In general, I think the
extrapolation of this category --- the full-fledged, always-on, WAN-
connected *personal server* / gateway machine for a constellation of
Wi-Fi enabled devices --- is pretty compelling.  But even as a pure
networking device, it's useful enough that I'm seriously considering
adoption of this as a "tool to rely upon / organize around."

FWIW, I also think that it's possible that such things *might*
undermine the market for Bluetooth devices.  There's really no good
need for two separate radios in any given device, IMHO.  Aside from
power concerns, there's no reason that Wi-Fi cannot (and should not)
service all the needs that Bluetooth presently serves.  The protocol
stack functionality can easily (and better, I would argue) be layered
on top of Wi-Fi / IP / ...

Thoughts / feedback?

jb