[FoRK] Aaron does (some of) it for me (re: iPad)

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Feb 2 10:58:51 PST 2010

Dave K writes:

> One app at at time and full screen means that you make the most of
> your screen real estate. Managing overlapping windows, and using
> space for the window controls is not appropriate for a tablet.

+1.

In fact, one thing I neglected to mention with respect to my own
"little things" / conveniences argument --- I'm not sure that managing
overlapping windows is *ever* appropriate for *any* device / form
factor.

After spending years laughing at the suits that run everything in
fullscreen, once I decided (back around 2001 or so) to "live on the
laptop" (i.e., use it as my exclusive read-write, command-and-control,
input-intensive device, and use everything else as read-mostly) I find
myself doing something like that --- almost.  Basically, on the
laptop, I tend to run the main apps in an left-aligned stack, all
sized the same, taking up the left 3/4 of the screen.  Another stack
of "narrow" apps / windows (i.e., iChat or other buddy list windows,
download manager windows, etc.) run in the right 1/4 or so of the
screen, again all aligned.  (One exception:  I run two Terminal
windows in a 1/3 on left, 2/3 on right geometry, with right Terminal
and its tabs reserved for interactive tasks and two tabs on the left,
one running my Terminal-based remembrance agent and the other running
similar "monitoring" apps, top, etc. as needed.)  Managing window
geometry then becomes, simply, a matter of keyboard switching of
foreground app via cmd-tab, cycling tabs and so forth.

I'd really rather have something a bit smarter, and am envious of e.g.
the various X tiling window managers --- but not enough to "switch."

jb