[FoRK] Portable hotspots (or, why the iPad doesn't need 3G / future of Bluetooth questionable?)

Sean Conner sean at conman.org
Tue Feb 2 14:26:58 PST 2010

It was thus said that the Great Jeff Bone once stated:

> Should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway:
>
> This device *should* be your phone.  And of course, with jailbreaks /
> rooting / etc. and a little hackery, it can be and already is for many
> folks.  I'd just like the carriers to man up and work with the phone
> makers to make this the standard modus operandi / personal networking
> architecture.

  That's the last thing the Monopolistic Phone Company wants (breakup or no,
it's *still* Ma Bell under the rubber mask).  Their mindset is that of
circuit-switching intelligent network with a dumb edge (they gain value by
adding features and services to the network) while the Intenet is a
packet-switched dumb network with a smart edge (new features and services
are added at the edge, outside the control of the dumb central network,
which just exists to fling data as fast as possible) [1].

  Faster pipes?  It's a lot harder to upsell that.

  Hindsight being 20/20, I think that Ma Bell should have been broken up by
service (one company getting the physical wires, another company renting
said pipes to provide phone service) instead of geographically.  Then maybe
we'd have decent Internet providers.

  -spc (bits are bits, after all ... )

[1]	http://www.hyperorg.com/misc/stupidnet.html