[FoRK] Portable hotspots (or, why the iPad doesn't need 3G / future of Bluetooth questionable?)

David Kammeyer kammeyer at rocketmail.com
Tue Feb 2 16:44:58 PST 2010

> From: Sean Conner <sean at conman.org>

>   Hindsight being 20/20, I think that Ma Bell should have been broken up by
> service (one company getting the physical wires, another company renting
> said pipes to provide phone service) instead of geographically.  Then maybe
> we'd have decent Internet providers.

This was tried in the late nineties.  The Telecom Deregulation act in 1996 required that the baby bells lease out their equipment at regulated rates to competitors.  Thus were born companies called CLECs that could rent wires from the local carriers to provide DSL and regular phone service.  To do this, they had to install equipment in the switching stations.  There was a time when you could get DSL from three or more providers if you lived in a major urban area.  Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, mostly the uncooperativeness of the baby bells in following the regulations, the CLECS have virtually entirely died out.

-Dave