[FoRK] Portable hotspots (or, why the iPad doesn't need 3G / future of Bluetooth questionable?)

Sean Conner sean at conman.org
Tue Feb 2 17:26:49 PST 2010

It was thus said that the Great David Kammeyer once stated:
> > From: Sean Conner <sean at conman.org>
>

> >   Hindsight being 20/20, I think that Ma Bell should have been broken up by
> > service (one company getting the physical wires, another company renting
> > said pipes to provide phone service) instead of geographically.  Then maybe
> > we'd have decent Internet providers.
> >

> This was tried in the late nineties.  The Telecom Deregulation act in 1996
> required that the baby bells lease out their equipment at regulated rates
> to competitors.

  Not quite the same---the baby bells still owned both the pipes *and* the
service.  Had the split been between pipes and service, then the Telecom
Deregulation Act would probably not have been required.

> Thus were born companies called CLECs that could rent wires from the local
> carriers to provide DSL and regular phone service.  To do this, they had
> to install equipment in the switching stations.  There was a time when you
> could get DSL from three or more providers if you lived in a major urban
> area.  Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, mostly the
> uncooperativeness of the baby bells in following the regulations, the
> CLECS have virtually entirely died out.

  I have a few friends that went the CLEC route (mostly in the ISP
business).  It was nice being able to control both ends of my personal DSL
connection (via said friends), but The Monopolistic Phone Company made it
economically difficult for this to continue.

  -spc (Who misses having 32 static addresses for the home network)