[FoRK] medical file Re: Aaron does (some of) it for me (re: iPad)

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Feb 2 18:05:56 PST 2010

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
> Hi Marty,
>
> On Feb 2, 2010, at 4:28 PM, Marty Halvorson wrote:
>
>> David Kammeyer wrote:
>> "The tablet is more like a clipboard -- imagine a doctor coming in to see a patient carrying a laptop vs. one of these."
>>
>> My doctor has a gadget much like a clipboard.  Except it's probably a laptop with the screen facing up when it's closed.  It's about the same size as a paper file folder.  In my case, the paper file is thicker than the laptop.  It has a touch screen, a screen scribe with some text recognition, no mouse, and no keyboard.  It contains my complete medical file.  According to the doc, it took several months for everyone's medical file to be loaded to a server.  When I have an appointment, my complete file is loaded, along with everyone else's that have an appointment that day.  It's quite nice to look up medical test results without having to page through many pieces of paper.
>>

> Yeah, i briefly fantasized about quitting my day job to build an iPad application optimized for doctor-patient interaction (my family is full of doctors, so I'm painfully aware of how archaic and arcane most of their technology is).
>
> I wonder who built that gadget of yours, and whether they're considering an iPad version...
>
> -- Ernie P.

The facility that we go to, which has just about every specialty
integrated including electronic-only lab, xray, and MRI, has computers
on the wall of every office and patient room.  They have a proximity ID
card along with biometric login which more or less instantly brings up
their patients, appointments, medical records, etc.  Just a couple hours
ago I watched an orthopedist scan through the 3D images of a high
resolution MRI for someone to show us where a tendon was swollen.

They are pretty slick.  A dr. can order an xray, you walk 40 ft., wait a
few minutes, have the xray taken, walk back to the doctor, and have it
read on any patient-room screen immediately and be on your way in a few
more minutes.  And this is not an HMO or hospital.

Why carry a pad when the computer next to you is part of (some) cloud
that gives you secure access to the info you need?