[FoRK] Portable hotspots (or, why the iPad doesn't need 3G / future of Bluetooth questionable?)

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Feb 2 19:32:32 PST 2010

sdw says:

> It doesn't matter much that there are many standards when the
> devices cost $16 and 54-in-1 adapters cost $12.

Actually, I disagree.  You made this general point about the marginal
cost of different radios, too.

It's not about the pure cost economics;  it's about the additive
complexity and cognitive overhead, which is non-linear in the number
of different standards / geegaws / etc...

Occam's razor:  don't needlessly multiple entities... ;-)

$0.02,

jb