[FoRK] Portable hotspots (or, why the iPad doesn't need 3G / future of Bluetooth questionable?)

Sean Conner sean at conman.org
Tue Feb 2 20:01:25 PST 2010

It was thus said that the Great Jeff Bone once stated:

> Clarifications for Mr. Conner, etc.
>
> That's great and all, but let me clarify.  Apologies if the sloppy
> terminology was mistaken for something else.  By "WAN" --- in the
> above discussion *only*, and my assumption was that this would be
> clear from context --- I was referring to portable devices w/ 3G
> cellular broadband interfaces.  The proposition was that, really, you
> don't need more than *one* device w/ both Wi-Fi and 3G interfaces.
> Everything else really only needs Wi-Fi, for most use cases, assuming
> the one that's got both can serve as a portable router between its own
> super-local Wi-Fi network and 3G.  When in range of some better Wi-Fi -
> > broadband connectivity, that dual purpose device (and all the
> others) wouldn't need to use 3G.
>
> That clear now?

  Yes.

> Re:  removable media, it's just a losing idea and always has been:
> media, formats, acceptable capacities, connectors, drive technologies,
> etc. etc. etc. all change so quickly that it's been a loser for
> years.  It's just not "durable" (in the long-term sense, i.e., useful
> for more than a few years.)  That hasn't kept millions of people from
> spending billions of dollars on such storage over the years, and
> consequently losing it.  It also hasn't kept Sony and others for
> attempting, repeatedly, to lock a market using one kind of proprietary
> media and storage technology after another.  It's a vicious cycle.
> (Obligatory disclosure;  yeah, there are those rare occasions when
> it's useful --- bricked device rescue, for example.  So yeah, I've got
> a thumb drive or two for those kinds of uses myself, despite being
> "philosophically" opposed to the idea of removable media in general...)

  Interesting.  I've seen removable media used as backups (I worked for a
time at a Winn Dixie distribution center and part of my job was driving a
few tape cartridges of critical data off site to a secure facility and
bringing back previous tapes) and I right now carry a USB key with signed
certificates so I can log into work from any Internet capable PC with a web
browser (and copies of puTTY, a Windows SSH client since it's a 90% chance
that any Internet capable PC will be running Windows).

  And never underestimate the bandwidth [1] of a station wagon loaded with
tapes [2].

  -spc (Hmm ... I just noticed my removable 1T external harddrive ... )

[1]	Or technically, would it be throughput?

[2]	I remember hearing that at some point in the 80s/very early 90s, it
	was faster to airship tapes of USENET than to transmit USENET via
	copper (daily flights).