[FoRK] Portable hotspots (or, why the iPad doesn't need 3G / future of Bluetooth questionable?)

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Tue Feb 2 20:30:57 PST 2010

--- On Tue, 2/2/10, Sean Conner <sean at conman.org> wrote:

>   That's the last thing the Monopolistic Phone Company wants (breakup or no,
> it's *still* Ma Bell under the rubber mask).  Their mindset is that of
> circuit-switching intelligent network with a dumb edge (they gain value by
> adding features and services to the network) while the Intenet is a
> packet-switched dumb network with a smart edge (new features and services
> are added at the edge, outside the control of the dumb central network,
> which just exists to fling data as fast as possible) [1].
>
> [1]    http://www.hyperorg.com/misc/stupidnet.html

Wow, I just about hacked up a lung from all the dust on that thing. How old is that article anyway? Hint: he refers to his time on AT&T True Voice. That was circa 1990-93 or thereabouts, if memory serves. Intelligent Network (IN) technology was all the big thing in the late 80's and early 90's, around the same time as narrowband and broadband ISDN.

Things have changed just a bit since then.

I know you Americans really hate your giant phone companies, and not entirely without justification. But if you're going to trash them at least do it with something related to their operations in the current century.

Circulating or referencing such dateless articles without also providing some way to place it in time should be outlawed. Or at least seriously frowned upon. E.g. Dateless != Timeless.

         ...ken...