[FoRK] Two bits (for Ken, Sean)

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Feb 2 20:53:14 PST 2010

Sean says:

> And never underestimate the bandwidth [1] of a station wagon loaded
> with tapes [2].

Yeah, that's the standard argument.  Realistically, in all these years
in the industry, I have yet to see any significant *data transfer*
accomplished via such means (or a FedEx full of CDs, etc.)  I have
seen (and actually been party to) shipments on the order of a truck
full of pre-configured server racks, but the point there isn't really
data transfer.  Offsite data storage, yeah, but not particularly for
bandwidth reasons (cost-vs-bandwidth, perhaps, arguably.)

SneakerNet is SneakerNet no matter what form it takes.  If that's all
you've got, or you can't afford something better, then you make do.
But for my own time and money, I prefer my bits online and have for
some time (like, about 25 years or so ;-)  In fact, at Sun, I was
always amused by the "Network is the Computer" slogan.  IMHO, it
should've been "the network is the hard drive."  (Particularly given
that a large part of their success was due to NFS.)

You shouldn't have to move bits around *as if* they were atoms.

Ken says:

> Wow, I just about hacked up a lung from all the dust on that thing.

Some of the best insights --- and fundamental ones that change the
world you and I and all the rest of us live in --- happened a while
back.  Isenberg's paper is actually *seminal.*  It more or less
singlehandedly put the telecom industry on notice.  Making fun of
important work simply because it happened a while back is, well,
ridiculous.
BTW, I had my chronology reversed.  We'd already killed AT&T's $100M+
Telescript investment with $400k and a POP client before David wrote
that;  it was written in 1997.  Telescript was dead by 1996.

jb