[FoRK] medical file Re: Aaron does (some of) it for me (re: iPad)

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Tue Feb 2 21:39:53 PST 2010

Hi Stephen,

On Feb 2, 2010, at 18:05, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> Why carry a pad when the computer next to you is part of (some) cloud that gives you secure access to the info you need?

I'm all for storing this in the cloud, but the reason I am intrigued by a pad is as a subtle but intelligent note-taking device. My wife's office has computers everywhere, but they all involve breaking off from interacting with the patient to type into the keyboard.  A wall screen is an intriguing idea, especially for sharing information with the patient, but I'm not sure if that solves the data entry problem.

For example:

> Ernie, it was very likely just a Wintel laptop. There are laptops available that you can rotate the screen and flop it down on the keyboard, turning it into a tablet. Check, for example, the HP TX1000.

Sorry, I meant the software, not the hardware.  My (admittedly limited) experience with traditional medical record software is that they look like a tn3270 bad nightmare with a gazillion tiny fields, which would be impossible to navigate on a tablet.  I'm hoping whoever designed the software for that tablet-like device actually simplified the UI to the point of being useful, which would be a great start...

-- Ernie P.