[FoRK] Aaron does (some of) it for me (re: iPad)

Jebadiah Moore jebdm at jebdm.net
Wed Feb 3 03:14:54 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> I'd really rather have something a bit smarter, and am envious of e.g. the
> various X tiling window managers --- but not enough to "switch."

You should, really.  Dunno how easy it is to set up on a Mac, though.

A well-configured (hell, even the default) wmii (my personal preference) or
xmonad gives a bliss unmatched.  It makes the Windows and Mac
interfaces--even Gnome and KDE--feel like clunks; using them is comparable
to using the Windows command prompt once you're used to proper unix.

The only thing I really am not a fan of with wmii is that it uses "stacking"
instead of tabs, meaning it shows a bunch of titlebars in a column, which
takes up too much screen real estate.  But it doesn't really become an
issue; with tagged windows/desktops (each window has tags attached to it,
and "workspaces" are achieved by showing all the windows with particular
tags; for example, you might tag firefox "browse+work", your chat program
"browse", and your shell "work", and then switch back and forth between
"browse" and 'work"; there are also numbered ones with shortcuts set up by
default).  And I'm sure a simple implementation of tabs could be worked out,
if I cared enough; wmii is fully scriptable, accessible through a virtual
filesystem (normal or plan 9).

--
Jebadiah Moore
http://jebdm.net