[FoRK] Two bits (for Ken, Sean)

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Wed Feb 3 12:30:28 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 10:53:14PM -0600, Jeff Bone said:
> Yeah, that's the standard argument.  Realistically, in all these years in
> the industry, I have yet to see any significant *data transfer*
> accomplished via such means (or a FedEx full of CDs, etc.)

It's regularly done in the film industry - especially in London where
all the Post Houses are close together. The phrase there tends to be
"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a speeding runner".

Much quicker to load stuff onto an external HD and then send the kid off
to the other facility with the data.

More extremely - during the making of LoTR runners would be dispatched
from NZ with (I think) iPods loaded dailies to send to LA.

(On a side note Weta lent Rising Sun in Sydney their excess rendering
capacity after LoTR by shipping their whole farm off via air crate)